Governance and Release Model updates

Benjamin Kerensa bkerensa at ubuntu.com
Tue Nov 13 17:20:36 UTC 2012

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 8:50 AM, Kent James <kent at caspia.com> wrote:

> On 11/13/2012 3:21 AM, Jb Piacentino wrote:
>
>> Kent,
>>
>> "We need a not-Mozilla organization"... but you still want to be able to
>> enjoy the 'Mozilla Thunderbird' brand? Can you please explain how you see
>> this happening?
>>
>> Jb
>>
> I think we can agree that the Thunderbird brand is one of the most
> important assets that exists right now in our quest to improve the product.
> And we can also agree that monetization is very difficult. Even with the
> brand, you and David Ascher struggled to achieve levels sufficient to
> sustain development. That will be even more difficult if the brand is not
> available in any shape or form to the not-Mozilla organization. So I think
> a lot of how to leverage the brand in ways that would not be threatening to
> Mozilla, or that Mozilla would view as contributing to their overall
> mission.
>
> I'm getting tired of calling this the "not-Mozilla organization". I'll be
> using the name "Swanfox" for this nascent entity in the future, so let me
> just start using that here as well. (swanfox.con, swanfox.org, @swanfox
> are all names I have reserved).
>
> Let me just give a few examples of possible cooperative arrangements that
> could exist.
>
> 1) In support: If a paid support option existed managed by Swanfox, then
> the free support pages offered by Mozilla could point to the paid support
> options provided by Swanfox. Even more extreme, they could be integrated,
> so that paid support answers are also visible to the free users, and free
> users who find their questions unanswered, or who need more sophisticated
> support, would see clear choices to switch to a pay support model.

   +1 for that idea

> 2) Donations: Mozilla does not appear to have any interest in managing a
> donation process surrounding Thunderbird. SwanFox could manage the process,
> doing the front-end work to prepare the in-product communications, and
> managing the developers that would be hired with the donations to work on
> the core product.

   I agree that donations are integral to getting events put together and
other things so having a org for contributors could do that.

> 3) Mobile: If Swanfox wanted to develop a mobile app that was designed to
> work seamlessly with Thunderbird, then Mozilla could license the trademark
> to Swanfox.

I love the idea of Thunderbird for Android :)

> 4) Addons: If Swanfox wanted to publish paid addons, then those addons
> could be promoted directly within the Thunderbird product.

  and we could attract more add-on developers by offering paid addons

> I don't see Swanfox as a traditional investor owned organization, but
> closer to a coop of Thunderbird key contributors.
>

> :rkent

*Benjamin Kerensa*
*http://benjaminkerensa.com*
*"I am what I am because of who we all are" - Ubuntu*