Governance and Release Model updates

Kent James kent at caspia.com
Tue Nov 13 16:50:32 UTC 2012

On 11/13/2012 3:21 AM, Jb Piacentino wrote:
> Kent,
>
> "We need a not-Mozilla organization"... but you still want to be able
> to enjoy the 'Mozilla Thunderbird' brand? Can you please explain how
> you see this happening?
>
> Jb
I think we can agree that the Thunderbird brand is one of the most
important assets that exists right now in our quest to improve the
product. And we can also agree that monetization is very difficult. Even
with the brand, you and David Ascher struggled to achieve levels
sufficient to sustain development. That will be even more difficult if
the brand is not available in any shape or form to the not-Mozilla
organization. So I think a lot of how to leverage the brand in ways that
would not be threatening to Mozilla, or that Mozilla would view as
contributing to their overall mission.

I'm getting tired of calling this the "not-Mozilla organization". I'll
be using the name "Swanfox" for this nascent entity in the future, so
let me just start using that here as well. (swanfox.con, swanfox.org,
@swanfox are all names I have reserved).

Let me just give a few examples of possible cooperative arrangements
that could exist.

1) In support: If a paid support option existed managed by Swanfox, then
the free support pages offered by Mozilla could point to the paid
support options provided by Swanfox. Even more extreme, they could be
integrated, so that paid support answers are also visible to the free
users, and free users who find their questions unanswered, or who need
more sophisticated support, would see clear choices to switch to a pay
support model.

2) Donations: Mozilla does not appear to have any interest in managing a
donation process surrounding Thunderbird. SwanFox could manage the
process, doing the front-end work to prepare the in-product
communications, and managing the developers that would be hired with the
donations to work on the core product.

3) Mobile: If Swanfox wanted to develop a mobile app that was designed
to work seamlessly with Thunderbird, then Mozilla could license the
trademark to Swanfox.

4) Addons: If Swanfox wanted to publish paid addons, then those addons
could be promoted directly within the Thunderbird product.

I don't see Swanfox as a traditional investor owned organization, but
closer to a coop of Thunderbird key contributors.

:rkent