Governance and Release Model updates

Jb Piacentino jb at mozilla.com
Tue Nov 13 15:13:06 UTC 2012

On 13/11/12 15:45, acelists at atlas.sk wrote:
> I understand it that some non-Mozilla organization could collect money and pay developers to create and push code into the existing Mozilla run repositories/release process. But even if this couldn't work, can't Mozilla transfer the branding to some other organization if needed?
I really doubt this would be practical as Mozilla will need to be sure
the product and brand value remains inline with the mission. But even
though, my suggestion is that we don't put the cart before the horse: as
expressed many, many times, I think we need to show there is enough
innovation to justify such a structure.

Having said that, nothing prevents any one from operating a company
focused on creating Thunderbird valuable additions and generate revenue
from it. This is nothing new, really.