Governance and Release Model updates

John Crisp jcrisp at safeandsoundit.co.uk
Tue Nov 13 12:38:54 UTC 2012

On 13/11/12 12:21, Jb Piacentino wrote:

> "We need a not-Mozilla organization"... but you still want to be able to
> enjoy the 'Mozilla Thunderbird' brand? Can you please explain how you
> see this happening?

Having followed most of the TB threads it would appear that the whole
thing is stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Go 'Not Mozilla' and risk losing the support in terms of cash, support,
branding etc

Go 'Mozilla' and risk being dragged slowly into the mire by a parent
body that has already made its position clear having cast the product
adrift.

No one really wants to pick up the cudgel (it's a big ask), but without
clear leadership and direction, the project will go nowhere whether it
is under Mozilla or not.

4 months after the announcement, and despite an enormous amount of
debate, I can't see that any real progress has been made. Lots of offers
to help, but no real solutions.

I really don't know what the answer is, but as a user the current
experience reminds me of watching a patient slowly and painfully
slipping away.

Personally I think that if Mozilla don't want to develop they have to
let it go completely. Put the code somewhere open and on a given date,
cut the ship lose. If current Mozilla TB developers choose to work on it
then that is fantastic. If Mozilla pays some of their hours to assist or
sponsors in other ways then so much the better.

But if it isn't 'released' from the Mozilla fold it is going to wither
and die where it is, because fundamentally Mozilla aren't interested in
developing it any more.

If it is released and dies in the open it's because it wasn't the
product that people wanted. Very sad, but such is life.

It may also have the effect of forcing some players hands - I am sure
there are some companies out there who might do more if either they had
too if Mozilla pulled out, or won't do more because they feel that
Mozilla were still going to be controlling the whole thing.

Wish I had the skills (or a big pot of cash) to do more !

B. Rgds
John