Governance and Release Model updates

Jb Piacentino jb at mozilla.com
Tue Nov 13 11:17:46 UTC 2012

Vincent,

Please see my inline comments.
On 11/11/12 23:01, Vincent wrote:
> Hi,
>
> About monetization, just wanted to highlight the fact that, in my
> opinion, there is still a lot to do.
>
> The NextSend <https://www.nextsend.com> case is a good example : we
> have a French hosting service provider which claim that he would like
> to do a partnership in order to be integrated in Thunderbird. The only
> answer that is given to him his: first do an add-on, and then we may
> consider to do something... In my opinion, Mozilla should have taken
> more attention to this demand,try to contact him directly by phone or
> something like this. Maybe it is not possible with the current
> organization, but it is a pity because some commercials opportunity
> may be lost (although it  is not too late for NextSend, it seems to me
> that a lot of time has been waste).
This is not fair: NextSend has come at the eleventh hour, too late to be
integrated in Thunderbird 17. Next train will be Thunderbird 24, unless,
we, as a community, decide to do an intermediate release. I think we all
will be happy to bring NextSend in and negociate their service
distribution through Thunderbird. I have personally answered NextSend
and explained this in details, as you very well know.
Also, please consider that when it comes to making the choice between
1) forcing a revenue generating opportunity to the Thunderbird core by
breaching TB QA policies, to the risk of destabilizing the product,
vs.
2) providing _users_ with the same benefits through an addon and not
making money immediately,
I hope we can all agree that we recommend doing an addon. At least, it's
my position and has been my decision.

> Developing local partnership with hosting services dedicated to
> enterprise is in my opinion something good for Thunderbird's future
> (which could be more famous in the enterprise market) and users (which
> like to use localize services in Thunderbird, and not only US hosting
> services).
Re: Enterprise partners, YSI & Box are first and foremost Enterprise
service providers. I which we had similar choices for email (But it's
not too late: email providers are added online and can therefore be
proposed at any time).
I cannot agree more on the need to have local partners. For Filelink, we
have looked at many local providers, including in France and Germany:
None considered it worthy enough at that time. Gandi, on the other hand,
decided they wanted to take the bet, and they're in.