Thunderbird and Windows 8

Richard Marti richard.marti at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 17:35:11 UTC 2012

On 09.11.2012 14:17, Vincent wrote:
> The problem is not only if Thunderbird runs on Win8, but also how it
> is integrated.
> For instance it seems that:
> - there is no special styling for Metro yet, so you'll get the Aero
> look and feel
Unfortunately it exists no media query to add special Win8 styles.
I'm thinking about a Lightweight theme with special  Win8 styles like my
NoGlass theme.

Maybe we also could add a new tree like the -aero tree. But this would
make the package size grow and make it harder to maintain.
> - There is currently no TB app for Win 8, so you don't see it on the
> Metro Start page, and only if you switch to the familiar desktop
> environment
IMO this isn't possible with the actual man power we have. If I remember
right FX for Metro is based on the Android code base and because TB
isn't ported to Android it's almost impossible to port it to Metro. I
hope someone corrects me and says this is wrong and ports it to Metro.
> - there is no notification of new email on the icon in the start menu.
Yes this should be fixed as a minimal adaption to Win8.

Richard