Governance and Release Model updates

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Thu Nov 8 14:27:29 UTC 2012

On 04/11/12 21:00, Kent James wrote:
> I want Thunderbird to be a career, not a hobby.

An entirely reasonable desire.

> At this point, I am convinced that what is really needed is a rework in
> direction for the mailnews client, allowing resources to be devoted to
> 1) enterprise-friendly options and features, 2) better compatibility
> with the mobile and web space, 3) fixing old bugs, and 4) expanded
> protocol capability beyond traditional IMAP. For that to happen, the
> project management would need to really focus on developing income, as
> we would need at least $1,000,000 per year to make any real progress.

You may be right.

If you think Postbox is failing at this, what makes you think another
effort would succeed?

> But what /is/ clear is that Mozilla (which also means "Thunderbird")
> has no interest in this battle. For Thunderbird to even attempt this
> direction would have significant risk and controversy, and that is
> exactly the last thing that Mozilla wants for Thunderbird right now. The
> culture is such that a minority of people opposed to a focus on income
> generation would try to claim the moral high ground, and derail the
> focus that would be needed.

I think we need to distinguish. I would oppose people who are opposed to
all forms of income generation by anyone; but I would suggest that
Mozilla has already tried generating income from Thunderbird and not
succeeded to the degree necessary, so if there are going to be efforts
surrounding Thunderbird which generate income, I think it's a political
reality that they will need to be organizationally independent of
Mozilla-the-organization.

Gerv