Governance and Release Model updates

Ben Bucksch ben.bucksch at beonex.com
Fri Nov 2 18:00:30 UTC 2012

OK, my feedback, on 3 points:

Ownership:
Given that Mozilla Corp has removed most funding, and the current owners
can no longer invest as much time, please actively hand over ownership
to volunteer contributors *now*. We have a number of people who have
proven that they are interested in Thunderbird development, and shown
long-term commitment, and proven coding skills and good judgment.
There's no need to wait any further, please approve the new owners now.
I am particularly thinking of aceman and protz, but also jcramner, rkent
and a number of others.

I can also see a little bit of fresh air going through TB, good
decisions are made, volunteers focus on valuable things like outgoing
filters. This is great and gives me a bit of hope. But to use that
momentum, we need to put those good contributors actually in charge,
both to allow them to use the momentum they have now, and to keep them
long-term. If the module owners stay as they are right now, TB will soon
die a honorable death of old age, instead of using this opportunity to
refresh.

Money:
Please define "engagement".
I wholly disagree with  the sentence "Therefore, paid-for development
should not be considered.". I think that development is (apart from
servers and machines) the most valuable that an open source project can
invest in. I understand the political side, but the module owners just
need to agree among themselves, and I think they can.

ISPDB:
"ispdb expected to be brought up to replace the static files for
autoconfig."
I disagree here, I think the static approach using SVN we have right now
is more secure for the high-value sites that we currently have.