Thunderbird Account Provisioning and Privacy Policy

Jb Piacentino jb at mozilla.com
Thu May 31 20:24:27 UTC 2012

Ina survey last year, wefound that60% of respondents expectedThunderbird
to provide an email account. In response,we havedesigned a feature that
makesit easy to create a personalized email address
fromwithinThunderbird. In a few clicks, a user canend up with
kirk at enterprise.comas an address,for example.That could of course also
apply to your family, company or organization...
;-)(https://wiki.mozilla.org/Features/Thunderbird/Account_Provisioning)
<https://wiki.mozilla.org/Features/Thunderbird/Account_Provisioning%29>

Since Mozilla does not offer email service, we have worked with
international service providers to streamline the process and allow:

1) Suggestions for personalized email addresses
2) Account auto-configuration once the user has subscribed to the email
account.

The next version of Thunderbird, to be released on June 5th, will
feature two service providers;Gandi (www.gandi.net) and Hover
(www.hover.com). They will be respectively the default providers for
Europe and North America, as launch partners. They both offer paid email
service.

In the future, we plan on adding more providers in more geographiesin
order to beable to offer the signup process in theuser'slanguage.

We would also like to add free email service providers. We are already
in talkswith some of them, and are ironing out the details to ensure
aproper level of quality of serviceprivacypolicies.

On the technical side, aset of
guidelines(https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird/AccountProvisioner) is
available and should facilitate the quick integration of additional
service providers.

Thisthread is specifically to inform a broader set of community members.
We believe the feature aligns with our Privacy Principles
(https://wiki.mozilla.org/Privacy#Mozilla.27s_Privacy_Principles)
<https://wiki.mozilla.org/Privacy#Mozilla.27s_Privacy_Principles%29>,
matches user expectations, and moves the         Mozilla Mission forward.
You can try the feature out with Thunderbird Beta builds, available at:
http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/channel

FAQs:
Q: Does Mozilla have any server-side data about which users have picked
what provider?