[thunderbird-testers] Two big huge features have landed and we need your feedback and your testing time.

Jim squibblyflabbetydoo at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 03:07:26 UTC 2012

On 03/14/2012 08:17 AM, Ludovic Hirlimann wrote:
> On 3/14/12 12:47 PM, Onno Ekker wrote:
>> I don't want to store big files on some third party server and I know
>> my boss wouldn't want that either, since those files might contain
>> private information. Will it be possible to disable this feature? From
>> the GUI? Or maybe the feature can be disabled by default?
> You can disable it by setting mail.compose.big_attachments.threshold_kb
> so -1.

Actually, set mail.compose.big_attachments.notify to false if you want
to disable the notification, or set mail.cloud_files.enabled to false if
you want to disable the entire feature.

>> Will the treshold be configurable in the GUI too? I think most ISP's
>> have a 10Mb limit at least, so a default treshold of 1Mb might be too
>> low... Do you get to choose between sending as attachment or using
>> FileLink when the filesize exceeds the treshold?
> You don't AFAIK. And it's accessible in the GUI.

You're always prompted to convert the attachment to a filelink.
Thunderbird will never automatically upload your attachment anywhere
without you explicitly allowing it (or at least, it *should* never do that).

>> Will it be easy to use encryption for the files? Maybe by the FileLink
>> service provider or otherwise there might be some hook for extensions
>> like Enigmail to use this?

It should be possible to override the various commands to pass the files
through encryption, though I'm not sure the uploader supports that.
Extension developers are welcome to try this out, and file bugs if
things don't work for them.

> We also plan to have hook for you to use internal servers. As for
> encryption I don't know from the top of my head.

As Ludo implies, we should be adding other provider types in the future
(e.g. SFTP), which may resolve the issue for enterprise. It should also
be possible for extension authors to add their own provider types, and
do anything they want with them (e.g. providing encryption).

- Jim