[thunderbird-testers] Two big huge features have landed and we need your feedback and your testing time.

Michael Baffoni baffoni at avinc.com
Wed Mar 14 17:23:07 UTC 2012

I was asked to bring up this issue by emailing to this forum.

I have similar concerns to Onno.  We handle sensitive information (as in "improper handling can put us in jail"), and we would need to ensure that this feature is not enabled by default.  We cannot have any confidence issues that potentially sensitive data is stored outside of our mail systems and those of our intended recipients (which may be inside our company as well with different domains, but would need to handle accounts outside of our networks too).

Thanks,
-MikeB

On 3/14/2012 4:47 AM, Onno Ekker wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 7:06 PM, Ludovic Hirlimann<ludovic at mozilla.com>  wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Today we landed two big new features in Thunderbird:
>>
>> Instant Messaging
>> where we support facebook, twitter (broken on the first nightly), gmail
>> and IRC. We are looking for feedback and bugs (in the new
>> Thunderbird/Instant messaging component).
>> Use it and please file bugs. Conversation should be searchable via gloda.
>>
>> FileLink
>> Ever wanted to send files bigger than say 100Mb , now it's possible - or
>> should be possible. The threshold that changes how attachment are
>> handeld is 1 mb and that's configurable with
>> mail.compose.big_attachments.threshold_kb. We'll have a specific test
>> day for that latest feature next week (I'll come back with an
>> announcement for that).
>>

>> These features are available in
>> http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/thunderbird/nightly/latest-comm-central/
>> and will be available by this Thursday on Earlybird builds (at
>> https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/channel)
>>
>> Ludo
> I'm not sure if I like where Thunderbird is going... I remember
> Mozilla's motto about being lean and mean, but that might only have
> holded to Firefox. Anyway, it's still much nicer to use Thunderbird
> than Outlook.
>
> I have some questions about FileLink and I can't find any
> documentation on it. Maybe if I wait another day for the feature to
> land in Earlybird/Aurora I can find out for myself, but I thought I'd
> ask here anyway.
>
> I don't want to store big files on some third party server and I know
> my boss wouldn't want that either, since those files might contain
> private information. Will it be possible to disable this feature? From
> the GUI? Or maybe the feature can be disabled by default?
>
> Will the treshold be configurable in the GUI too? I think most ISP's
> have a 10Mb limit at least, so a default treshold of 1Mb might be too
> low... Do you get to choose between sending as attachment or using
> FileLink when the filesize exceeds the treshold?
>
> Will it be easy to use encryption for the files? Maybe by the FileLink
> service provider or otherwise there might be some hook for extensions
> like Enigmail to use this?
>
> Onno
Michael Baffoni
AeroVironment, Inc.
IT Manager
Corporate

baffoni at avinc.com
Click here <http://webmail.aerovironment.com/CAchain.cacert> to trust my digital signature.

626-357-9980x503 (Office)
626-359-9628 (Fax)

NASDAQ: AVAV
www.avinc.com

CONFIDENTIALITY STATEMENT: This electronic message transmission contains information from AeroVironment, Inc. and is confidential and/or proprietary. The information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this message is prohibited. If you have received this electronic transmission in error, please send a reply notification and/or notify us by telephone (626-357-9983) immediately and delete this message from your computer.