Security releases: How long?

Ben Bucksch ben.bucksch at beonex.com
Tue Jul 31 11:12:41 UTC 2012

On 23.07.2012 12:41, Ben Bucksch wrote:
> Hello JB and Mitchell Baker,
>
> I have asked it a few times in various other emails, but gotten no
> response to it. I really really need this question answered, because
> it decides what we have to do now, today.
>
> How long will Mozilla Foundation/Corporation, using paid staff,
> provide security updates to Thunderbird, in terms of years and
> decades? This includes making the required changes to Thunderbird to
> adapt to Gecko / Mozilla platform changes, which is considerable work.
>
> Users need assurance that they will still have a email client without
> security holes in e.g. 5 years. If the future is not guaranteed
> long-term, we need to start building a new one now, so being concrete
> here is important.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Ben Bucksch

So, one week later, there has been no concrete answer to my post, which
I find very disheartening, when long-time contributors with critically
important questions are just being ignored.

I did find this statement on a blog, though, which I want to post here
for completeness:

"b: Yes of course. We have a solid plan to support Thunderbird until the
second half of 2013 and are discussing how we support it beyond that date."
https://blog.mozilla.org/beyond-the-code/2012/07/09/about-the-future-of-thunderbird/

So, in essence, this is the concrete reply I was looking for: Mozilla
promises only 1 year of security support and releases, and after that
the future is uncertain.

As for "we ... are discussing": Where?
***/
/**//*//