Papercuts: status and a top 10 list from the wiki

Kent James kent at caspia.com
Mon Jul 30 19:20:36 UTC 2012

On 7/30/2012 7:11 AM, Mike Conley wrote:
> Thanks Kent, for doing this.
>

>> So there you have it, my top 10 list! I will be championing these bugs,
>> and I urge others (in the spirit of cooperation with the project and the
>> community) to also champion these bugs in the short run.
>>

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the plan that each committed
> papercut-fixer was going to get 5 bugs to work on and complete in < 1
> year?

Yes, but ...

1) We don't really have a viable process yet to choose "official"
papercut bugs. The first attempt using a wiki is awkward, yet I wanted
to take what I could to do a start to an "official" papercuts list so
that we could get started. We have awhile to fill in with additional bugs.

2) With future TB 17 ESR now in comm-central, this is a critical time
for all of us to push bugs that we know need to be landed, while the
papercuts bug timescale is a little longer.

3) It is really important to me that we effectively engage with the
broader Thunderbird community to get key issues identified, brought to
the attention of developers, and solved. We need to figure out a way to
get the key contributors in BMO and GS engaged in this. Some are, but
there are some noticable gaps.

So this list is a compromise between "let's get going" and "leave some
room for additional bugs with a better process".

rkent