Security releases: How long?

Kent James kent at caspia.com
Tue Jul 24 18:58:09 UTC 2012

On 7/24/2012 6:06 AM, Ben Bucksch wrote:
> This is what Mozilla Corporation promised to do for the time being.
> What I need to know is how long (how many years) they commit to do
> that. Because if that ends in 2 years, we need to find a solution now
> already, because getting the solution in place (e.g. finding sponsors)
> can take a long time.
>
> Ben
As I read the tea leaves, Mozilla is committed to maintaining the
product for an additional year (through the TB 17 ESR cycle) with no
firm commitment one way or the other after that. (And perhaps by stating
this I'll spark a correction from them with more details).

I believe that you and I are in agreement that Thunderbird has a great
potential future as a product, but that future requires a firm financial
underpinning. I fear though that this message is counter cultural within
Mozilla, where there seems to be some hope that a core of dedicated
free-as-in-beer volunteers are going to emerge to do the heavy lifting.

rkent