Security releases: How long?

Ben Bucksch ben.bucksch at beonex.com
Mon Jul 23 10:41:08 UTC 2012

Hello JB and Mitchell Baker,

I have asked it a few times in various other emails, but gotten no
response to it. I really really need this question answered, because it
decides what we have to do now, today.

How long will Mozilla Foundation/Corporation, using paid staff, provide
security updates to Thunderbird, in terms of years and decades? This
includes making the required changes to Thunderbird to adapt to Gecko /
Mozilla platform changes, which is considerable work.

Users need assurance that they will still have a email client without
security holes in e.g. 5 years. If the future is not guaranteed
long-term, we need to start building a new one now, so being concrete
here is important.

Thank you,

Ben Bucksch