TB End Users survey - do not distribute

Patrick Cloke clokep at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 21:12:08 UTC 2012

On 7/20/2012 3:57 PM, Axel wrote:

>> I was actually referring to using Outlook + Lync here though, but
>> really my point was just that it's useful when you receive an email
>> to know what that person is currently doing (can you call, IM, stop
>> by or email them back).
> Yesss! Thunderbird gets at least 50% more useful with that - well in a
> group /working /environment, that is. Thing is, I don't make a habit
> of firing up my chat client on my private machine (partly because I am
> spoiled for choice - YM? MSN? Skype?), but if it was just a switch in
> Tb, I would very likely have it running all day.
>
>> There are many features that can be supported via IM though
>> (potentially voice, video, white boarding, screen sharing...just to
>> name a few).  Luckily both the IRC and XMPP implementations in
>> Instantbird/Thunderbird are fairly extensible.
> double cool. Is there a plan to integrate a thin client IRC out of the
> box (rather than having to bolt on chatZilla)? That would be the most
> useful for me personally. At the moment I am using chatZilla via SM to
> keep my Thunderbird profile "cleanish".
A "thin client IRC out of the box"?  XMPP and IRC are supported (and
therefore, Google Talk and Facebook Chat since they are XMPP).  I'm not
sure of what your question is then.  I guess I'm not understanding what
you mean by "thin client" or why you would rather use ChatZilla instead
of the built-in IRC. (And how it makes the profile "dirtyish".)
>> And we'll definitely encourage that for any other protocols added to
>> chat/ (anyone want to make a SIP/SIMPLE implementation?) :)
> there might be some scope in papercuts here? Don't know how much work
> is involved. We need some interns for this kind of work!! ;)
This is certainly more than a papercut. :)

--Patrick