TB End Users survey - do not distribute

Nomis101 Nomis101 at web.de
Fri Jul 20 18:39:16 UTC 2012

Am 20.07.12 10:11, schrieb Axel:
>> and especially that it seems there are more linux users than Mac users.
> Again, not too surprising as a lot of linux distros bundle
> Thunderbird; what mail clients does Mac OS bundle?
Ok, I didn't know that Linux bundles Thunderbird. Than this is not
surprising, you are right.  OS X bundles Apple Mail.

Am 20.07.12 10:11, schrieb Axel:
> Since the survey makes no claim on overall market share of Mac users
> vs Windows users, and also doesn't state that the numbers are
> normalized against this, this is likely just a reflection of the
> overall number of Mac users in these countries. We got to be very
> careful with numbers from statistics like this it is easy to jump to
> the wrong conclusions.
Yes, indeed, its not normalized. Would be interesting to see this
normalized to marked share. But most Mac user I know are users of Apple
Mail.

Am 20.07.12 11:46, schrieb Tanstaafl:
> On 2012-07-20 3:21 AM, Nomis101 <Nomis101 at web.de> wrote:
>> Am 20.07.12 01:33, schrieb Anne-Marie Bourcier:
>>> End of last year, we conducted an end-users survey on our installed
>>> base. We are pleased to share the complete results with you today.
>>
>> This are interesting results. The first thing I didn't expect is, that
>> it seems there are more users of TB in germany than in usa. I had
>> expected the opposite. The next thing I was surprised is the huge number
>> of windows users compared to other users, and especially that it seems
>> there are more linux users than Mac users. I didn't know that mac users
>> of TB are such a minority (maybe they most use Apple Mail). So it seems
>> we need to get more attractive to Mac users.
>
> Don't you think it makes more sense to try to cater to your *largest*
> user base rather than the *smallest*?
Sure, if the larger base are larger in total number. But my thinking
was, that most Mac users are using the bundled Apple Mail, because its
from Apple and its already on the system (like that way, that a Windows
user is using Internet Explorer). And than, you need to make TB more
attractive to Mac users (and advertise it to them), so they maybe switch
from Apple Mail to TB. :-) But as Axel sayed, you need than normalized
values against marked share.