TB End Users survey - do not distribute

Axel axel.grude at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 20 15:46:52 UTC 2012

*To: *"tb-planning"<tb-planning at mozilla.org>
*From: *"pascal chevrel"<pascal.chevrel at free.fr>
*Sent: *Friday, 20/07/12 15:47:22 15:47 GMT +0100 [Week 29]
*Subject:*Re: TB End Users survey - do not distribute
> Le 20/07/2012 08:51, Vincent a écrit :
>> Interesting study... Quite frightening for Thunderbird's future to see how old is
>> our user-base...
>>
> Define 'old'!
>
> The study says that the majority of users are more than 35year old, the median age
> of the European population is more than 40:
> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0a/Median_age.png
>
> The western world is aging (and life expectancy is also increasing), I would have
> been surprised to learn that users of Thunderbird do not reflect the population the
> study was conducted in, that leads to the interestring point that a lot of people in
> the computing industry design and market their product for a population that is
> probably a minority of the market (that probably explains why most of the web pages
> are written so small, damn young designers! ;) )
with age, comes also higher awareness of quality, so think this is A Good Thing. Let
young people write about how their cat rolled over in 140 letters :) on facebook /
they're not necessarily the target audience of desktop mail anyway.

Axel - jeez, only 4 years to the big five oh; I don't feel /that/ old.