TB End Users survey - do not distribute

Florian Quèze florian at mozilla.com
Fri Jul 20 14:43:30 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 11:55 AM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl at libertytrek.org> wrote:

> Why reinvent the wheel?

FYI, we didn't create a new IM client from scratch. A very significant
portion of the code used by Thunderbird for IM comes directly from the
Instantbird project, and people from the Instantbird community have
been directly helping, especially for the IRC support.

> It would make more sense to spend a lot less dev
> hours on just figuring out a way to 'integrate' with the most popular IM
> clients (and do it in a plug-in type fashion so that other users could write
> extensions to support other IM clients if they wanted to).

This has been seriously considered and discussed during the early
stages of the work on the IM feature
(https://wiki.mozilla.org/Features/Thunderbird/Instant_messaging_in_Thunderbird),
see https://wiki.mozilla.org/Talk:Features/Thunderbird/Instant_messaging_in_Thunderbird
for a summary of some discussions.

I'm quite surprised that you can affirm it would take "a lot less dev
hours" for "just figuring out a way", as it seems barely possible (if
at all) to integrate with IM clients that may not expose an API at
all.

Florian

--
Florian Quèze