TB End Users survey - do not distribute

Axel axel.grude at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 20 14:59:05 UTC 2012

*To: *"tb-planning at mozilla.org"<tb-planning at mozilla.org>
*From: *"Vincent"<el.cameleon.1 at gmail.com>
*Sent: *Friday, 20/07/12 10:39:20 10:39 GMT +0100 [Week 29]
*Subject:*Re: TB End Users survey - do not distribute
> 2012/7/20 Gervase Markham <gerv at mozilla.org <mailto:gerv at mozilla.org>>
>
>     It seems to me that the evidence is that IM/social integration is not a
>     heavily-desired feature, and people have trouble understanding what that
>     might even mean. Is that a fair conclusion from the data?
>
>     That doesn't mean people shouldn't do it, necessarily, but it does mean
>     that it would need careful defining of use cases and explanation of
>     benefits.
>

> From my own experience in various big French organizations, IM was never used, so it
> is sure that it is not very popular... Except in an US society (Delphi, part of
> General Motors) which was using Windows messengers with Outlook. I (and all other
> people at Delphi) have really appreciated this, because it allows a complementary
> communication with email (for some things that need little and kick answer, IM is
> the best, and it is not as disturbing as a phone call, ie you can use it with
> someone in a meeting).
that's so true - at avaya, we are using Communicator, which also integrates nicely
with outlook (you can see online status of addressees when writing emails / sending
invites)

> So I am quite sure that it could have some success if it is well integrated in
> Thunderbird.
yes, and it should probably also run in a stand-alone window? I am sure this is
technically possible without showing the main Tb UI and without installing a separate
executable - would it be hard to pull off?

btw facebook chat already runs quite nicely on Tb, so no more facebook site visits
necessary. thank gods!

Axel