TB End Users survey - do not distribute

Tanstaafl tanstaafl at libertytrek.org
Fri Jul 20 09:55:32 UTC 2012

On 2012-07-20 5:30 AM, Gervase Markham <gerv at mozilla.org> wrote:
> It seems to me that the evidence is that IM/social integration is not
> a heavily-desired feature, and people have trouble understanding what
> that might even mean. Is that a fair conclusion from the data?
>
> That doesn't mean people shouldn't do it, necessarily, but it does
> mean that it would need careful defining of use cases and explanation
> of benefits.

I would love to be able to initiate an IM session *with my preferred IM
client* directly from Thunderbird - and maybe even have Thunderbird be
able to reflect a Contacts status by monitoring my preferred IM client
that is running in the background. This would most likely require the
Address Book rewrite that has been planned for so long.

I have *no desire* to have a totally new 'integrated IM client' in
Thunderird.

Why reinvent the wheel? It would make more sense to spend a lot less dev
hours on just figuring out a way to 'integrate' with the most popular IM
clients (and do it in a plug-in type fashion so that other users could
write extensions to support other IM clients if they wanted to).