Thunderbird future -- the big picture?

Paul Morris paul at paulwmorris.com
Thu Jul 19 16:19:17 UTC 2012

I was wondering the same thing, and posted this speculation as a comment
on some of the recent blog posts:

So... Firefox OS (aka Boot2Gecko) will have an HTML5+JS email app that's
basically an open web app, and I would speculate that Mozilla could
eventually also offer a version of it for the desktop, available free
from the Mozilla Marketplace. It would make a great flagship HTML5 app,
demonstrating the viability of offline storage and offline use, etc.

That way they would eventually be able to have a single email-app
codebase, that's cross-platform, for (1) the desktop, (2) their mobile
Firefox OS, and (3) other mobile platforms too (Android, iOS). You could
use the same Mozilla email app on your computer, phone, tablet, etc. As
an HTML5 app it would easily tie into all the work they're doing on
identity, social, sharing, contacts, sync, etc.

Maybe the code could also be adapted for use by ISPs (and self-hosters)
to provide webmail interfaces?

This approach basically lines up with the earlier Raindrop labs project
(and integrating other web-based forms of messaging with email), and the
focus on integration across products of the Kilimanjaro project.  Not to
mention all the emphasis on "the web is the platform." In the process
they would get to start over rather than having to keep working with
Thunderbird’s older codebase.

So that's just my speculation about where the big-picture future might go...

-Paul