Papercuts remixed (was Re: What's the status of papercuts?)

Axel axel.grude at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 17 11:30:44 UTC 2012

> On 11-07-12 11:33 , Joshua Cranmer wrote:
>>> examples, references would be welcomed
>> <http://mozilla.github.com/devtools/status/index.html#news> is the foremost example
>> in my mind. There's also <http://brasstacks.mozilla.com/orangefactor/>, but that's
>> solving a moderately different issue.
> Would http://www.joshmatthews.net/bugsahoy/ be a useful example, too?
>> One idea someone had for papercuts was a screenshot of Thunderbird where you could
>> hover over various parts and get the last of papercuts in various issues.
> Something like http://areweprettyyet.com/thunderbird/1/index.htm# ? ;)
nifty!

I also must say that I have already encountered users who recently updated from
Thunderbird 3 to current and remarked how "ugly" it had become - a sentiment I partly
would agree to (although I might prefer using the term /"bland"/). I immediately
advised Theme installation for remedy.

In summary I think some UI improvements (such as monochrome icons or crippling large
icons) aren't strictly necessary if they are based around a certain aesthetic mindset;
they also have the disadvantage of taking away some of the individuality of this
application, and not always to the benefit of the users; 'nuff said.

Axel