Papercuts remixed - the bug list

Wayne Mery (d531) vseerror at Lehigh.EDU
Mon Jul 16 14:40:46 UTC 2012

On 7/12/2012 5:22 PM, Joshua Cranmer wrote:
> On 7/12/2012 11:17 AM, Kent James wrote:
>> It's quite encouraging that in a little over one day, we've picked up
>> 6 developers who have been willing to commit to fixing at least 5
>> papercut bugs in the next year. So far I have:
>>
>> Kent James
>> Mike Conley
>> Blake Winton
>> Axel
>> Aceman
>> Magnus Melin
>>
>> In addition we've had a number of additional offers of help. Thanks to
>> all! I'd like to blog about this in the next few days, including
>> mentioning the names, as I think it is important that the Thunderbird
>> project demonstrate some viable community-led action soon to counter
>> the "Thunderbird is dead" press of last weekend. I would also
>> encourage anyone who is not on this list already to count themselves
>> in so that we can have the strongest public presence possible.
>>
>> So I think we can now agree that this is a serious effort, and it is
>> time to start targeting bugs that we'd like to look at. The first step
>> is just for people to use whatever method they want to nominate bugs
>> for consideration. "Nominate" is just getting them on the table, you
>> are not necessarily voting for a bug by nominating it.
>>
>> Is a wiki page a good way to go about this?
>
> I've made <https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird/Papercuts> to keep track
> of this initiative. Please nominate and vote for your most annoying
> papercuts! If you have any questions about the process, or you would
> like to volunteer to commit to fixing papercuts as well, please email me
> or ping me on IRC (:jcranmer).

For reasons stated at
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/tb-planning/rfR7wvRi158/9b2mVdbDps0J
I perhaps have more questions than answers.

What's stated at https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird/Papercuts is
fantastic in a limited context - "To prove that Thunderbird's
development is not going to die, several people have committed
themselves to fixing five papercuts in a single year. This page is for
tracking the status of these papercut fixes.".

I applaud the effort but I suggest we need to go further.

I've posted my thoughts on papercuts in the etherpad at
https://etherpad.mozilla.org/tb-papercuts