Papercuts remixed - the bug list

JoeS joesab2005 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 04:53:18 UTC 2012

On 7/13/2012 6:57, Wayne Mery (d531) wrote:
> On 7/13/2012 1:48 AM, Kent James wrote:
>> On 7/12/2012 3:34 PM, Axel wrote:
>>> (I wasn't quite sure of what constitutes a papercut, but if it is
>>> sharp enough to cut me then I would probably think my own bugs are
>>> papercuts as well)
>> The definition of "papercut" is perfectly left vague, because part of
>> the intent is to see what is bugging people that they think needs work.
>> If we restrict the definition too much, then we put too much of our own
>> bias in the process.
>>
>> But with that caveat, what I think that we are looking for are flaws
>> (not major enhancements) that have existed for more than a couple of
>> release cycles, that you think should have some developer attention.
>> Whether you use bugzilla searches or your own experience is up to you.
>> What do you think needs work?
>>
>> I will be writing a blog about this in the next day or so BTW.
>>
>> rkent
>

> I admire everyone's enthusiasm but I think we are blazing ahead too
> quickly, announcing a process and potentially blogging already only a
> couple days after discussion started.

OTOH, I think it is important to show _activity_ (of any kind ?) Those
of us that look at daily checkins need to see something.
Certainly, we need a gameplan that has substance, but give spelling
corrections if you must, but something to post.
I'm looking at a dead forum here at:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=2500781

> I can't point out all the issues in a couple minutes. But for starters,
> people who don't know wiki or bugzilla (or won't be able learn) aren't
> going to know what to do.

Wiki editing really sux.
I myself blew away the edit links trying to add a bug there.

> Secondly, you've limited yourself to the universe of issues reported in
> bugzilla.

That's why it's important to spread the word everywhere.

> Third, there's little value to a notation where someone votes for their
> own bug.
>
> Fourth, it's trivally easy for someone to nominate a problem that bugs
> them. But how about encouraging people to nominate a item that does
> *not* affect them but that they know affects many other people?

Nobody is perfect..My bugs are always the important ones :)

> Fifth, the wiki starts with "issues which aren't complicated". I suggest
> most people won't have a clue of whether an issue is complicated to fix
> or not.
>
> Can we take a step back please and take a breath?

I don't agree.
Do something, even if it's wrong.
Not saying this initiative has that flavor, but I think some kind of
reassurance is necessary for the community to rally around.
That means do it now, not later, and publicize it everywhere we can.

--
JoeS
jsabash at bellatlantic.net