Papercuts remixed (was Re: What's the status of papercuts?)

Mark Banner mbanner at mozilla.com
Fri Jul 13 17:37:06 UTC 2012

On 13/07/2012 17:45, Axel wrote:

>> On 12/07/2012 18:07, BAUVENS Laurent wrote:
>>> AFAIK, in term of number of users, Thunderbird has about 20 million
>>> users and some Mozilla sources say only 7 or 8 millions are
>>> individual users. So I guess the 12 other millions represent the
>>> professional users.
>> Possibly professional, but not necessarily. There's some factoring
>> that gets applied to the metrics, I don't know what the exact details
>> are, but I know that some people we don't see so much (e.g. not
>> everyone logs on every day), and some people choose not to do the
>> update checks (or redirect to their own update system).
> If it is anything to go by, my main extension's Daily user base drops
> by around 60% (from 25,000 to 15,000) every weekend, which (assuming
> figures are correct) to me definitely suggests a large corporate /
> professional user base.
Firefox and Thunderbird sees this the same. I think it just reflects the
working week versus weekend, obviously there will be some corporate
influence, but I think there's a lot of people who don't check their
email over the weekend, and with mobile devices there may not need to be
(e.g. I frequently don't have my laptop on at the weekend, if someone
emails me I can check on my phone).

Mark.