Papercuts remixed (was Re: What's the status of papercuts?)

Wayne Mery vseerror at Lehigh.EDU
Fri Jul 13 16:22:57 UTC 2012

Quoting Chris Ilias <tb-planning at ilias.ca>:

> On 12-07-10 11:37 PM, Kent James wrote:
>> On 6/8/2012 10:49 PM, Chris Ilias wrote:
>>> In late March, Blake sent an email listing UX priorities, including
>>> papercuts. If I do a search for TB and mailnews core bugs with
>>> [UXprio] that are fixed since March 24, I only get one bug (508776).
>>> Has there been any priority given to those bugs?
>> I've often been concerned about the lack of attention within Thunderbird
>> to long-standing bugs myself, and that also seems to be the source of a
>> lot of the negative energy that sometimes surrounds the project. But
>> honestly, I don't have a good feel for how important that is. I do know
>> that some individuals have a lot of passion and frustration around
>> certain unfixed bugs, and can generate a lot of negative energy over
>> that issue.
>>
>> But let me propose an idea. What if we were to make a list of
>> well-recognized bugs (not enhancements) in Thunderbird, and make that
>> the focus of an initial effort for the developer community that is
>> starting to gel around Thunderbird? That would go against the
>> conventional wisdom of course that developers are mostly interested in
>> jazzy new features, but perhaps being different could start to build
>> some positive energy. I could imagine trying to develop a list of a
>> certain number of bugs (not enhancements), and set the goal of fixing
>> them all in some period of time.
>>
>> So as an example, we could develop a list of 100 Thunderbird bugs that
>> at least 3 people are willing to vouch for (with a limited number of
>> vouchers per person, and perhaps some vetting by a benevolent dictator),
>> and recruit a group of community developers to tackle those in a year.
>>
>> Count me in, if other people are also willing to be involved.
>
> Thanks for responding. :)
>
> One of the reasons I asked about it, is because we already have a
> list that Blake asked for feedback on in March. I only mentioned one
> bug, because that was the only one fixed since then. For a list of
> unresolved [UXprio] bugs, see:
> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi?status_whiteboard_type=allwordssubstr;status_whiteboard=[UXprio];resolution=---
>
> I now see there's also a [ux-papercut] whiteboard tag, so this list
> could also do:
> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi?status_whiteboard_type=allwordssubstr;status_whiteboard=[ux-papercut];resolution=---
>
> I also thought [gs] bugs could be used, but there are well over 200
> bugs on that list.

There are, and have been, many ways to categorize bugs/problems.

Not mentioned yet in recent conversation but very important IMO is
getsatisfaction, which has a wealth of information including a number
for "this affects me", and number of people following:
- https://getsatisfaction.com/mozilla_messaging/ideas/popular
- https://getsatisfaction.com/mozilla_messaging/problems/common
(Some topics are matched to bug reports. Many are not.)

Back to your point - there is a litany of past and current notations
in bugzilla relevant to the current discussion.  Some are listed
below.  Please post if I've missed any.  We can build on these
experiences of these items.

Whiteboard [1]:

[good first bug]
[student project]
[uxprio]
[*papercut]
[b3ux]
[delight]
[mentor=*]

Flags (from most recently instituted to oldest) :
* indicates used by developers for release management

*blocking-thunderbirdX[?|-|+]
wanted-thunderbird[?|-|+]
wanted-thunderbird3[?|-|+]
*blocking-thunderbird3[?|-|+]
*blocking-thunderbird2[?|-|+]

wanted-thunderbird [2] is closest to what is being attempted now with
papercuts. Arguably, the same thing.  anyone in buzilla could nominate
wanted-thunderbird, and then someone triaged them.

wanted-thunderbird3 [3] came earlier iirc, and was used inform what
features were wnated for thunderbird3.

wanted-thunderbird and -thunderbird3 possibly didn't scale well due to
the number of nominations and an inability to determine to level of
interest or impact in the user community.

I think of UXPRIO whiteboard as an uber form of wanted-thunderbird3,
but driven UX dev vision.

[1] whiteboard -
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi?type1-0-0=substring;field0-0-0=short_desc;type0-0-1=substring;field0-0-1=keywords;type1-0-1=allwordssubstr;resolution=---;classification=Client%20Software;classification=Components;status_whiteboard_type=anywordssubstr;query_format=advanced;status_whiteboard=prio%20ux%20delight%20wanted%20student%20first%20mentor;type0-0-0=anywordssubstr;field1-0-0=short_desc;product=MailNews%20Core;product=Thunderbird;field1-0-1=short_desc;list_id=3695119

[2] wanted-thunderbird+ -
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi?type1-0-0=substring;list_id=3695361;field0-0-0=flagtypes.name;type0-0-1=substring;field0-0-1=keywords;type1-0-1=allwordssubstr;resolution=---;classification=Client%20Software;classification=Components;query_format=advanced;type0-0-0=equals;value0-0-0=wanted-thunderbird%2B;field1-0-0=short_desc;product=MailNews%20Core;product=Thunderbird;field1-0-1=short_desc

[3] wanted-thunderbird3+
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi?type1-0-0=substring;list_id=3685466;field0-0-0=flagtypes.name;type0-0-1=equals;type1-0-1=allwordssubstr;resolution=---;classification=Client%20Software;classification=Components;query_format=advanced;type0-0-0=equals;value0-0-0=wanted-thunderbird%2B%20;field1-0-0=short_desc;type0-0-2=equals;product=MailNews%20Core;product=Thunderbird;field1-0-1=short_desc
* wanted-thunderbird3?
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi?type1-0-0=substring;list_id=3685563;field0-0-0=flagtypes.name;type1-0-1=allwordssubstr;resolution=---;classification=Client%20Software;classification=Components;query_format=advanced;type0-0-0=equals;value0-0-0=wanted-thunderbird3%3F;field1-0-0=short_desc;product=MailNews%20Core;product=Thunderbird;field1-0-1=short_desc

[]