Papercuts remixed - the bug list

Jb Piacentino jb at mozilla.com
Fri Jul 13 14:55:36 UTC 2012

Kent & all,

I immensely appreciate the motivation and energy everybody is putting
behind carrying on with Thunderbird development. However, I think that
it will be very premature and maybe counter productive to make any kind
of announcement or press release at this point in time. Here are some of
the reasons why:
- I don't think we have touched on any governance topics yet and those
will surely need to be discussed and agreed among ourselves, Mozilla
included. I have proposed a schedule which ends on Sept 8/9, i.e MozCamp
Europe. Promising for this or that, without knowing how we will be able
to deliver does not make a lot of sense and can as a matter of fact
backfire at us.
- I am not sure we have discussed anything about the release process
yet. Again, promising papervut fixes, new features ... without having an
idea of what can be done seems premature to me.
- And I could add many more other subjects to this list
- And finally, the press is unlikey to pick-up on the fact that a group
of 8 volunteers is taking up the gauntlet. Add to this that this is
already summertime in Germany and France, 2 of the 3 top territories for TB.

My strong advice is to aim higher and hit the press with some really
substantial and solid news: here is who we are, what are we committing
to, how are we going to deliver, and when...
I can see two windows of opportunity: Thunderbird 15 launch (or 16, or
even 17), and MozCamp Europe. Here is why:
- Thunderbird 15, 16 and 17 will have additional features and partners.
We plan on having a 'big' launch with TB17 on Aug. 28th (which should
feature Thunderbird Chat for example). I think we could surf on "Look,
Thunderbird ain't no dead" and describe what is coming up from the
community at this point in time
- MozCamp Europe: we plan a 'Thunderbird Summit' day on the eve of the
event where those of you who are invited to MozCamp will hopefully join
us and refine the plan that is currently being developped. I can see we
1) can have a wrap-up session with MozCamp attendees to ensure all our
trusted fellows understand where we're going, 2) possibly have a PR
describing the conclusions of this conversation.

Jb