Papercuts remixed - the bug list

Jonathan Protzenko jonathan.protzenko at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 14:38:49 UTC 2012

Hi,

(I'm the author of the compose extension, as well as several other
ones.)

I would like to point out that some things that people are nominating
for paper cuts are actually pretty hard-to-fix items. I spent a very
significant chunk of my time working on the compose addon, and to be
honest, I think being as very familiar as I am with the Thunderbird
source code, it would take me a full six months to properly fix this,
get reviews, and land it. Without counting the thousands of hours I've
spent learning the internals of Thunderbird...

So as tempting as it is, I think it's beyond the scope of a papercut. I
don't know if other people have mentioned the usual pet peeves (address
book, multi-row message list à la outlook, composition fixes) but I
would consider these to be very hard-to-fix bugs too.

That being said, I would be more than happy to mentor a motivated
contributor who does want to fix composition-related issues. However,
such a drastic change requires coordination. Many significant changes
(e.g. Thunderbird Conversations) never made it into the final product,
so we should be considerate when throwing energy into fixing a bug that
has little chances of being accepted in the end.

Cheers,

jonathan