Papercuts remixed - the bug list

Wayne Mery (d531) vseerror at Lehigh.EDU
Fri Jul 13 10:57:34 UTC 2012

On 7/13/2012 1:48 AM, Kent James wrote:
> On 7/12/2012 3:34 PM, Axel wrote:
>> (I wasn't quite sure of what constitutes a papercut, but if it is
>> sharp enough to cut me then I would probably think my own bugs are
>> papercuts as well)
> The definition of "papercut" is perfectly left vague, because part of
> the intent is to see what is bugging people that they think needs work.
> If we restrict the definition too much, then we put too much of our own
> bias in the process.
>
> But with that caveat, what I think that we are looking for are flaws
> (not major enhancements) that have existed for more than a couple of
> release cycles, that you think should have some developer attention.
> Whether you use bugzilla searches or your own experience is up to you.
> What do you think needs work?
>
> I will be writing a blog about this in the next day or so BTW.
>
> rkent

I admire everyone's enthusiasm but I think we are blazing ahead too
quickly, announcing a process and potentially blogging already only a
couple days after discussion started.

I can't point out all the issues in a couple minutes. But for starters,
people who don't know wiki or bugzilla (or won't be able learn) aren't
going to know what to do.

Secondly, you've limited yourself to the universe of issues reported in
bugzilla.

Third, there's little value to a notation where someone votes for their
own bug.

Fourth, it's trivally easy for someone to nominate a problem that bugs
them.  But how about encouraging people to nominate a item that does
*not* affect them but that they know affects many other people?

Fifth, the wiki starts with "issues which aren't complicated". I suggest
most people won't have a clue of whether an issue is complicated to fix
or not.

Can we take a step back please and take a breath?

I'm out of time.  More later.
W.