A way for users to donate $ to support TB innovation

Advrk Aplmrkt avkaplmkt at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 21:26:31 UTC 2012

I know you had a question mark for this point, but perhaps a
crowdfunding project would be worthwhile after all?

As many of you might have heard, the Kdenlive video editor project did
a fundraising campaign earlier this year through crowdfunding. The
stated purpose was to use the funds to hire someone full time to
refactor the Kdenlive code. It worked and the effort was well
publicised.

For Thunderbird, perhaps there could be a Kickstarter (or other
crowdfunding site) project to fix the "top 50 outstanding/showstopping
bugs" or "top 5 requested new features", or something like that.
Perhaps the funds could be divided as "money per bug fixed or feature
added". So for each bug (or feature) a developer fixes (a group of
developers probably need to commit to fixing at least x bugs before
the project starts), they get a pre-determined amount of money. Of
course bugs (or features) come in all shapes and sizes, so perhaps
they can be binned into groups worth different amounts of money. If
you fix a big/hard bug, you would make more $ than fixing, say, a
spelling mistake in the UI.

Part of the excitement of crowdfunding comes from the rewards
participants get. Even a nice t-shirt is sufficient to get some people
to donate. I love my Mozilla Firefox shirt (the one with the Firefox
logo printed on a black shirt), perhaps there can be one for
Thunderbird, too? Crowdfunding also provides great positive publicity
for a project. Recently it sounds like Thunderbird could use some
positive publicity so that we can say "The reports of Thunderbird's
death are greatly exaggerated".

If the crowdfunding campaign reaches just one percent of current
Thunderbird users, and each of them donates just five US dollars -
That would be 20 million times one percent times five, which means
50000 dollars, more than ten times what the Kdenlive project got.
Maybe this will be enough to place fixed price bounties on bugs or
feature requests? Or perhaps it  could be used to hire a full time
intern to work intensively on bugs, etc. for half, or even a whole
year? What if the percentage of users who donate is higher, or if the
average donatio is more than five dollars? That's even better!

I am just one of the 20 million users out there, and I don't even know
how to program. But this is why I would love to donate money (instead
of it going to some proprietary software that I have to buy if
Thunderbird dies!!!), and I am sure there are more people out there
who are willing to do the same...