A way for users to donate $ to support TB innovation

Paul Morris paul at paulwmorris.com
Thu Jul 12 18:23:04 UTC 2012

A number of the commenters on the "stability and community innovation"
blog post indicated a desire to donate $ to support continued innovation
in TB.  (I am one of them.)   But now that donating to Mozilla is no
longer a way to do that... some other way to make this possible would be
a Good Thing.

Given TB's large user base, even very modest donations from a small
percentage of users might add up. I know I would rather contribute to
open-source TB than pay for Outlook or some other proprietary app.  In
the wake of the bad press, this would be a way that users could express
their support for TB and counter the mistaken impressions of its demise.

I don't think we need a kickstarter for "Save Thunderbird Innovation,"
(do we?) but a way for users to contribute to TB development seems like
something to address in one way or another, sooner or later, if TB is to
become a thriving community-driven effort.

Maybe this is a role that Mozilla (or the Document Foundation? or
Ubuntu/Canonical? or...?) would be interested in playing -- setting up a
channel to accept donations for TB innovation, and then distributing
that to community dev-contributors in some kind of basically equitable
way based on their relative contributions, however that is determined
and carried out.

I'm sure there are all kinds of complications and tricky logistics to
this, as always, the devil is in the details, but I submit it for
consideration.

My thanks to those who are stepping up to keep innovation in TB going!

-Paul