Papercuts remixed (was Re: What's the status of papercuts?)

Joshua Cranmer pidgeot18 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 15:04:11 UTC 2012

On 7/12/2012 5:48 AM, Tanstaafl wrote:
> On 2012-07-11 6:41 PM, Axel <axel.grude at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> My term "vouching" was meant to represent the process of selecting
>>> which bugs you think need fixing, and adding your "voucher" to some
>>> number of those. I meant it as a plural term for the noun "vote".
>
>> exactly, shouldn't the bug votes somehow be accounted for when
>> prioritizing them? guess we will need some sort of committee to decide
>> which bugs are really important.
>
> If Thunderbird is going to become more community driven/oriented, then
> indeed votes should count more... they shouldn't be the only factor,
> but they should definitely matter. The problem is the flip side -
> since the development is community driven/volunteer, there is no way
> (nor should there be) to force any developer to work on any given bug...

I keep bugzilla queries of highly-voted TB bugs, divided into all bugs
that have more than 50 votes and all bugs filed in the last year with
more than 5 votes. I personally don't set a lot of store by bug
votes--Thunderbird for Android is probably much more useful than
combine-and-decode, but votes would suggest otherwise. The other problem
is that really high-vote bugs also end up being "really complicated
things"--of the top 49 bugs by vote counts, there are maybe 5 bugs which
wouldn't require major invasive changes somewhere. I do follow the lists
from time to time to get an idea of general desires of the community,
and many of the high-ticket items have ended up on the tb-roadmap of
"long-term" plans. But votes are poor proxies for knowing what to work on.

--
Joshua Cranmer
News submodule owner