Papercuts remixed (was Re: What's the status of papercuts?)

Kent James kent at caspia.com
Thu Jul 12 14:23:59 UTC 2012

On 7/12/2012 1:20 AM, Axel Grude wrote:
> From my own experience (At least in Windows) setting up for bug
> writing and getting a basic understanding of git and python are some
> of the major obstacles for somebody trying to enter that world, I
> think we have to still work on making that a lot easier in order to
> pull in more people towards core.
While I would agree that there is a substantial learning curve toward
getting involved in Mozilla development, I would not describe "git (hg?)
and python" as the main obstacles.

Testing is certainly an obstacle. As a mostly backend developer, I've
never written (or even run) a Mozmill test - but I live in
xpcshell-tests most of the time. Still, the way that you accomplish
things during testing is often quite different than the way you do it in
the main program, so getting started there is a barrier.

There is also, particularly in the C++ world, a unique Mozilla language
to learn. Peculiar Mozilla constructs (which are now practically native
to me), like

nsCOMPtr<nsIMsgIMAPFolder> imapFolder(do_QueryInterface(folder));

take quite a bit of time to learn.

But new people do get started somehow. I think that most more
experienced developers also are willing to assist people that are
learning. The code base is so vast that we are all learning something
new all of the time anyway. That is part of the skill of doing large
project development, to be able to pick up new areas quickly.

So I think you should go for it, Axel!

rkent