Papercuts remixed (was Re: What's the status of papercuts?)

Tanstaafl tanstaafl at libertytrek.org
Thu Jul 12 09:48:28 UTC 2012

On 2012-07-11 6:41 PM, Axel <axel.grude at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> My term "vouching" was meant to represent the process of selecting
>> which bugs you think need fixing, and adding your "voucher" to some
>> number of those. I meant it as a plural term for the noun "vote".

> exactly, shouldn't the bug votes somehow be accounted for when
> prioritizing them? guess we will need some sort of committee to decide
> which bugs are really important.

If Thunderbird is going to become more community driven/oriented, then
indeed votes should count more... they shouldn't be the only factor, but
they should definitely matter. The problem is the flip side - since the
development is community driven/volunteer, there is no way (nor should
there be) to force any developer to work on any given bug...

This is another reason why I am in favor of some kind of bounty system.
It is a way for 'voters' to put their money where their mouth is - and,
it is a simple and meaningful way for the devs/maintainers to deflect
criticism of bugs not getting fixed - ie, "you want it fixed? put up or
shut up! <link to bounty system>". Also, if such a system is put in
place, there needs to be a way to identify pledgers, so if they don't
follow through on their pledges, this fact should be publicized
prominently (to hopefully shame them into making good on it), as well as
to be able to show public appreciation once they do.