Papercuts remixed (was Re: What's the status of papercuts?)

Chris Ilias tb-planning at ilias.ca
Wed Jul 11 20:37:56 UTC 2012

On 12-07-10 11:37 PM, Kent James wrote:
> On 6/8/2012 10:49 PM, Chris Ilias wrote:
>> In late March, Blake sent an email listing UX priorities, including
>> papercuts. If I do a search for TB and mailnews core bugs with
>> [UXprio] that are fixed since March 24, I only get one bug (508776).
>> Has there been any priority given to those bugs?
> I've often been concerned about the lack of attention within Thunderbird
> to long-standing bugs myself, and that also seems to be the source of a
> lot of the negative energy that sometimes surrounds the project. But
> honestly, I don't have a good feel for how important that is. I do know
> that some individuals have a lot of passion and frustration around
> certain unfixed bugs, and can generate a lot of negative energy over
> that issue.
>
> But let me propose an idea. What if we were to make a list of
> well-recognized bugs (not enhancements) in Thunderbird, and make that
> the focus of an initial effort for the developer community that is
> starting to gel around Thunderbird? That would go against the
> conventional wisdom of course that developers are mostly interested in
> jazzy new features, but perhaps being different could start to build
> some positive energy. I could imagine trying to develop a list of a
> certain number of bugs (not enhancements), and set the goal of fixing
> them all in some period of time.
>
> So as an example, we could develop a list of 100 Thunderbird bugs that
> at least 3 people are willing to vouch for (with a limited number of
> vouchers per person, and perhaps some vetting by a benevolent dictator),
> and recruit a group of community developers to tackle those in a year.
>
> Count me in, if other people are also willing to be involved.

Thanks for responding. :)

One of the reasons I asked about it, is because we already have a list
that Blake asked for feedback on in March. I only mentioned one bug,
because that was the only one fixed since then. For a list of unresolved
[UXprio] bugs, see:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi?status_whiteboard_type=allwordssubstr;status_whiteboard=[UXprio];resolution=---

I now see there's also a [ux-papercut] whiteboard tag, so this list
could also do:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi?status_whiteboard_type=allwordssubstr;status_whiteboard=[ux-papercut];resolution=---

I also thought [gs] bugs could be used, but there are well over 200 bugs
on that list.