Regarding your plans to reduce efforts for Thunderbird

Kent James kent at caspia.com
Wed Jul 11 14:55:21 UTC 2012

On 7/11/2012 2:57 AM, Tanstaafl wrote:
> On 2012-07-10 8:40 PM, Axel <axel.grude at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> I think in the long term we need some strong teams for consolidating
>> add-ons and keep innovation in flow.
>
> It's funny - one of Thunderbirds strengths - customizability via
> Addons - is also the source of a minor irritation for me, since I
> customize so heavily. I'd love to not have to install dozens of
> extensions just to get the feature set/UI customization I want/need,
> so the more extensions that are promoted to core code the better (and
> it seems like it would make managing the code easier, but since I'm
> not a dev, maybe I'm wrong)...
One of the things that I would like to do is to prepare a list of
different market segments that Thunderbird is trying to address, and how
different decisions affect each one.

But one clear segmentation would be between the power user, and the
basic user.

The basic user is confused by all of the options that are presented, and
sometimes setting those options unintentionally can cause the program to
do strange things. The power user understands what is going on, and
needs the fine controls of the options. Addons provide a way to satisfy
both groups, as the basic program can stay simple while the power user
can install addons.

So I am a big believer in addons, in fact would probably take an
opposite approach to your proposal, that is to remove features from the
core program and put them in addons. But those would be addons that are
shipped with the product, which provides a certain vetting of quality
and usefulness. But there are many issues to be resolved before that is
practical.

rkent