Regarding your plans to reduce efforts for Thunderbird

Kent James kent at caspia.com
Wed Jul 11 14:33:23 UTC 2012

On 7/11/2012 2:27 AM, Vincent wrote:
> This is an important point in my opinion: how do you avoid that
> numerous add-on on AMO are not compatible with latest release of
> Thunderbird and that you should use a link given in comment to find
> someone you have release an updated version.
> Good example here:
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/fg-printers/
> This is totally unsecure as user can be pointed to any bad add-on!
>
> There should be some way to avoid this kind of situation.

There is, and it's called AMO. As an AMO editor, I can say that the bar
is not very high for addons to get accepted on AMO, yet the review
process provides critical confirmation that an addon is safe, does at
least nominally what it is supposed to do, and tries to avoid conflicts
with other addons. If an addon is not actively maintained on AMO, then I
would be very cautious. We regularly  get addons submitted to AMO that
are nominal clones of popular addons, but contain nothing but a js file
called (really!) keylogger.js

That being said, there is a delay process in going through AMO, so I
would have no hesitation about going to a respected author's site, and
installing the latest version of their updates that are stuck in review
queues. For my Exchange Server email addon ExQuilla, I even go a step
further and maintain both an AMO reviewed/updated version, as well as a
version on my own site that can be downloaded and updated from that site.

rkent