Change of release and governance model for Thunderbird

Joshua Cranmer pidgeot18 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 03:40:38 UTC 2012

On 7/10/2012 8:34 PM, Axel wrote:
> For an outsider it is sometimes hard to determine who works on what,
> and it might help if there was some feature/module-centric
> (team)focus... what do you think?

As Kent mentioned, I decided to put up a tb-roadmap etherpad detailing
the kinds of major projects that I think would be useful for
Thunderbird, and am happy to solicit feedback from anyone else. I'm also
currently preparing a proposal-via-blog-post about the missing parts of
our automated testing regime.

> I think
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Modules/Thunderbird
>
> is a really good starting, and I would like to see more names and more
> modules here - I would like to get involved in the Filter Piece :) .
> Also for those of us who cannot spare daily IRC time, it would be cool
> if weekly (or fortnightly) timeslots for module discussions could be
> organized. One could then put out calls to the community for
> participation if we need more manpower.

I have been informed that the modules page is currently in the process
of being updated, but I do not know what the final result would be.
> If we had small teams of people who could cluster around certain areas
> of expertise and we had some known leaders for these who can make the
> final decisions or are the go-to guys for asking before somebody
> attempts to patch something it also might make work more efficient.
> (this might already be organized this way, I do not know the process
> well enough at the moment, but some transparency would sure be nice).

I think we have people who are leaders for the modules and are willing
to be consulted on patch approaches beforehand (I know I often discuss
my major projects with important stakeholders before writing the first
line of code), but the problem is that either no one knows who they are
or the fora available to us are inconvenient. Part of my idea behind the
etherpad was just to start putting down thoughts about high-level goals;
perhaps adopting an additional mentoring approach like Firefox would be
worthwhile.

Another, kind of related issue that I have as a module owner is I feel
the basic tracking tools I have are rather lousy, since bugzilla just
isn't cutting it. Unfortunately, I'm also at the time of night where
being able to articulate anything is impossible, so I'll shut up now...

--
Joshua Cranmer
News submodule owner