Papercuts remixed (was Re: What's the status of papercuts?)

Kent James kent at caspia.com
Wed Jul 11 03:37:07 UTC 2012

On 6/8/2012 10:49 PM, Chris Ilias wrote:
> In late March, Blake sent an email listing UX priorities, including
> papercuts. If I do a search for TB and mailnews core bugs with
> [UXprio] that are fixed since March 24, I only get one bug (508776).
> Has there been any priority given to those bugs?
I've often been concerned about the lack of attention within Thunderbird
to long-standing bugs myself, and that also seems to be the source of a
lot of the negative energy that sometimes surrounds the project. But
honestly, I don't have a good feel for how important that is. I do know
that some individuals have a lot of passion and frustration around
certain unfixed bugs, and can generate a lot of negative energy over
that issue.

But let me propose an idea. What if we were to make a list of
well-recognized bugs (not enhancements) in Thunderbird, and make that
the focus of an initial effort for the developer community that is
starting to gel around Thunderbird? That would go against the
conventional wisdom of course that developers are mostly interested in
jazzy new features, but perhaps being different could start to build
some positive energy. I could imagine trying to develop a list of a
certain number of bugs (not enhancements), and set the goal of fixing
them all in some period of time.

So as an example, we could develop a list of 100 Thunderbird bugs that
at least 3 people are willing to vouch for (with a limited number of
vouchers per person, and perhaps some vetting by a benevolent dictator),
and recruit a group of community developers to tackle those in a year.

Count me in, if other people are also willing to be involved.

rkent