Regarding your plans to reduce efforts for Thunderbird

Kent James kent at caspia.com
Wed Jul 11 02:38:23 UTC 2012

On 7/10/2012 4:39 PM, Leni Mayo wrote:
> Which leads me to a question that's been bouncing around in my head
> for a while.  Just as mozilla has found a way to withdraw resources
> from Thunderbird without totally abandoning the users, what options do
> addon developers have if they'd like to go down a similar route?
>
> Leni.
If this is a serious question, and not a rhetorical one, then I don't
really understand what the issue is.

In a general sense, Mozilla implemented already compatible-by-default,
which reduces dramatically the work load for casual developers.

For those of us crazy enough to do binary extensions, then the proposed
Thunderbird changes have the hope of reducing required updates from 8
times per year to once per year, another dramatic reduction in addon
developer workload.

So as long as you are not needing to update your feature set, then there
is a very much reduced need for addon authors to invest their energies
into maintaining their addons compared to the past. I know that my older
addons get very little attention from me any more, but continue with users.

Also, as we look forward I think a lot of the community effort that is
beginning to gel around Thunderbird comes from the addon world, and is
more sensitive to the needs of addon developers than the core developers
have been in the past. I myself have always straddled the core and addon
development world, and I would like to push the future Thunderbird to be
very sensitive to the needs of addons. (Like no senseless renames of
javascript functions, and pushing to see if the underlying mailnews
binary interfaces are also kept stable for a year.)

rkent