Change of release and governance model for Thunderbird

Tanstaafl tanstaafl at libertytrek.org
Tue Jul 10 19:24:03 UTC 2012

On 2012-07-10 3:09 PM, Hubertus Hilgers <Hubertus.Hilgers at gmx.de> wrote:
> I'm of the opion, that Thunderbird indeed needs to get new functions
> implemented. For example a comfortable Maildir-Support, and as mentioned
> by many others too, an update of the directory.

Actually, my understanding is that both of these are already underway,
so I would include these in the same vein as the editor rewrite - things
that Mozilla devs should be dedicated to finish before the transition to
'maintenance mode (for lack of a better term)...

Again (not to be a broken record), but since Mozilla received 900
MILLION dollars in their last deal with Google, I don't see the
allocation of a few million to polish up Thunderbird before this
transition is finalized is asking too much.

> I did some brainstorming concerning issues, which could be improved in
> addition to Maildir and directory: for excample the support of a
> Metro-Version also for the future,

The Metro UI will never see light of day on my desktop, so -1 from me on
this one...

> writing messages should be possible in one tab,

I don't use tabs (except for the Calendar, which I would *still* prefer
to be able to open in a separate window like the old days), so again, -1.

> combining the two search-borders,

Not sure what you mean, but have a feeling it has to do with GLODA,
which I also don't use (all of my accounts are IMAP and have huge
mailstores which just isn't practical to keep sync'd locally).

> implementing an attachement-browser, URL-preview,

Both good candidates for community driven projects

> profil-recovery for damaged profiles,

Yeah, this would be nice, and since Firefox is getting it, maybe it
would be trivial for Thunderbird to inherit it?