Regarding your plans to reduce efforts for Thunderbird

Axel axel.grude at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 11 00:40:59 UTC 2012

Hi Leni,

*To: *"tb-planning"<tb-planning at mozilla.org>
*From: *"Leni Mayo"<mozilla.org at zindus.com>
*Sent: *Wednesday, 11/07/12 00:39:12 00:39 GMT Daylight Time +0100
*Subject:*Re: Regarding your plans to reduce efforts for Thunderbird
> On 11/07/12 3:53 AM, Kent James wrote:
>> It's a pity that so much of the reporting is interpreting this as
>> "Thunderbird is dead!" rather than "Thunderbird is finally stable!".
>
> Yeah, that's right.  Which in the short term makes it easier to use (and develop
> for) and in the long term means ever increasing levels of bitrot.
>
> Speaking from the perspective of an addon developer, I'm faced with constant demands
> for new features from users.  This change actually makes my life easier - now I can
> say to users
>
>   "like mozilla, I've decided to minimize the effort I put into
>    Thunderbird.  I'm now mainly concerned with security and stability"
>
> Which leads me to a question that's been bouncing around in my head for a while.
> Just as mozilla has found a way to withdraw resources from Thunderbird without
> totally abandoning the users, what options do addon developers have if they'd like
> to go down a similar route?
one thing that might be a route for Add-On developers would be to share their projects
with another Add-On authors - e.g. you could specialize in design and leave
implementation of new features to somebody else. It is often easier to manage a
multitude of projects with little teams, or at least it will keep the interest up.
 From my own experience, I have just inherited my 5th Extension, and am currently
almost way past capacity (but fighting hard to get the code base stabilized, lots of
refacturing and rewriting necessary). But it is the same thing, once you take sole
responsibility for a project, administration can almost eat all your time.

I think in the long term we need some strong teams for consolidating add-ons and keep
innovation in flow.

Axel