Regarding your plans to reduce efforts for Thunderbird

Leni Mayo mozilla.org at zindus.com
Tue Jul 10 23:39:12 UTC 2012

On 11/07/12 3:53 AM, Kent James wrote:
> It's a pity that so much of the reporting is interpreting this as
> "Thunderbird is dead!" rather than "Thunderbird is finally stable!".

Yeah, that's right.  Which in the short term makes it easier to use (and
develop for) and in the long term means ever increasing levels of bitrot.

Speaking from the perspective of an addon developer, I'm faced with
constant demands for new features from users.  This change actually
makes my life easier - now I can say to users

   "like mozilla, I've decided to minimize the effort I put into
    Thunderbird.  I'm now mainly concerned with security and stability"

Which leads me to a question that's been bouncing around in my head for
a while.  Just as mozilla has found a way to withdraw resources from
Thunderbird without totally abandoning the users, what options do addon
developers have if they'd like to go down a similar route?

Leni.