Regarding your plans to reduce efforts for Thunderbird

Axel axel.grude at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 10 18:40:58 UTC 2012

*To: *"tb-planning"<tb-planning at mozilla.org>
*From: *"Kent James"
*Sent: *Tuesday, 10/07/12 18:53:11 18:53 GMT Daylight Time +0100
*Subject:*Re: Regarding your plans to reduce efforts for Thunderbird
> On 7/10/2012 10:38 AM, Maurice wrote:
>>   I was hoping Thunderbird would be aiming for better performance and
>>   behaviour for its present function, rather than jazzy frills and
>>   'improvements' that result in a retrograde state, as has happened
>>   with KMail.
> I would say that the planned changes to Thunderbird are aimed directly at people
> like you. That is, what the Thunderbird team is seeing is that many, many of their
> users would much prefer a stable email client instead of one that is constantly
> changing. So instead of trying to satisfy those in favor of constant innovation,
> they are going to try to satisfy those who are not interested in "jazzy frills and
> 'improvements'" while still being open to innovation driven by the community.
>
> It's a pity that so much of the reporting is interpreting this as "Thunderbird is
> dead!" rather than "Thunderbird is finally stable!".
Yeah I think the original announcement from Mitchell somewhat wasn't really very clear
in communicating this - rather it was putting the emphasis on moving Mozilla's future
innovative focus to the other projects. Personally I do not think this is such a great
problem if the community is enabled to provide innovation themselves (e.g. through
contribution of patches) and not weighed down with having to take over purely
administrative efforts (such as hosting and distribution).

One thing I would not like is for Thunderbird becoming another Mozdev.org (which still
continues to be operated and is even open for new business, but the overall opinion on
this - even amongst Mozilla employees - is that it is dead). Also, we do need some key
persons with available on IRC to nurture the community in their efforts to get
involved in the innovation part. I do like the new module governance model though, it
might be a good idea to specialize people a little more. For instance, we still need
somebody who would like to take over the composer piece, that's in need of new
leadership, badly. If we could motivate the more talented members of the community in
some way to take this on (e.g. maybe with a specific credits page, like on other high
profile software dev efforts such as commercial games) I see a chance that Tb could
come out as a better (and not just more stable) product.

Axel

*Axel Grude*
Software Developer
Keys, SmartTemplate4)