Cyrus collaboration (was: Re: Change of release and governance model for Thunderbird)

Andrew Sutherland asutherland at asutherland.org
Tue Jul 10 17:37:03 UTC 2012

On 07/10/2012 07:29 AM, Bron Gondwana wrote:

> This is something I'm particularly interested in, as a server maintainer and supposedly working on a "better than IMAP" mail protocol.  If there's stuff I can do, or get involved in, I would be very interested in this.

Although the B2G e-mail app is message-centric for the time being, we
will likely go conversation-centric again in the future.  During my most
recent investigations of modern IMAP servers, I saw that Cyrus is
working on explicit support for conversations, possibly as a new
standard extension (XCONVERSATIONS?).  Because conversations are most
problematic for mobile devices that don't want to sync the entire
contents of a folder, this is especially interesting for me and B2G
email.  Probably less so for Thunderbird since only the global database
cares about conversations and its desire to work cross-account means it
might not benefit so much.

The replica work sounds very interesting; does it only support 100%
replicas, or does it support subsets?

Andrew