Change of release and governance model for Thunderbird

Andrew Sutherland asutherland at asutherland.org
Tue Jul 10 17:17:28 UTC 2012

On 07/10/2012 06:35 AM, Philipp Kewisch wrote:

> On 7/10/12 2:54 PM, Joshua Cranmer wrote:
>>> Surely that's what IMAP is for? :-)
>>>
>> IMAP doesn't share everything. As Ludo mentioned, it doesn't
>> synchronize contacts; there is also the issue of certain types of
>> message annotations not being totally shared (labels, junk status,
>> etc.) or basic settings either.
>>
> This is surely not the right topic to discuss this in, but what are
> you proposing to do? I hope not to create a separate sync mechanism
> from scratch? For contacts there is CardDAV, for calendar there is
> CalDAV. I guess Firefox Sync could be used to share some annotations,
> but aren't most annotations done using imap flags and new message
> headers?

The e-mail app will just be using the Contacts WebAPI:
https://wiki.mozilla.org/WebAPI/ContactsAPI
The Contacts app is in charge of that:
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Gaia/Contacts
Contact sync I believe to be targeted for Gaia v2.

Calendar is definitely using CalDAV, although its wiki page is more
sparse: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Gaia/Calendar

I am not aware of any attempt to expose Firefox Sync's backing store to
content directly, and it's unlikely we could justify it just to sync
account info (for which only the broad autoconfig information would be
supported) and tag names.

Andrew