Regarding your plans to reduce efforts for Thunderbird

Daniel Christinat daniel at christinat.org
Mon Jul 9 16:39:29 UTC 2012

Dear Sirs

Sorry but you shocked me so much today with your announcement about
Thunderbird.

Yes, there is indeed a large community using Thunderbird on a daily
basis as THE PRIMARY e-mail-tool - I am one of those 20 million peoples
that put their trust in you and your develpment team. I am using
Thunderbird for more than 15 years and I got more and more happy with it
as the features, stability and overall quality all got better.

I am managing all my mails since 1994 with Thunderbird - and I am happy
with it. I am also happy tho run Thunderbird on my central Desktop PC.
I know there are fancy things like smartphones and so on. I also use the
cloud in whatever form quite intensively.  But I wanna keep a central
location where my mails are - and this location is backuped regularly.

But to be honest: Mozilla-OS and Thimble .... I just cannot imagine why
those should be so more important than Thunderbird - a long time and
well developped project that still has room for future improvements (eg.
cloud integration).

Your decision as announced today seems to be just the beginning of a
long and painfull dead for Thunderbird ....

No, you are not gone shut down the project immediately (you are also not
gone move it to another company to let it die there as one of your
predecessors tried) ...

But over the years Thunderbird will be slowly but shure neglected first
and then suffocated.

And one of the most important Open Source Projects will be dead ....
What a pity. And what are the alternatives?

I am sad and extremly dissapointed about your decision - I stuck with
Thunderbird most of my professional IT-life. And you just decide to let
this product go and let the 20 Mio users alone. What an awfull mistake -
pls recosider!

Best regards,
Daniel

--