Change of release and governance model for Thunderbird

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Tue Jul 10 14:29:07 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012, at 08:54 AM, Joshua Cranmer wrote:
> On 7/10/2012 7:31 AM, Gervase Markham wrote:
> > On 09/07/12 21:09, Joshua Cranmer wrote:
> >> It also struck me that I forgot to mention that having a
> >> Thunderbird<->Gaia email sync ought to be a major goal.
> > Surely that's what IMAP is for? :-)
> >
> IMAP doesn't share everything. As Ludo mentioned, it doesn't synchronize
> contacts; there is also the issue of certain types of message
> annotations not being totally shared (labels, junk status, etc.) or
> basic settings either.

This is something I'm particularly interested in, as a server maintainer and supposedly working on a "better than IMAP" mail protocol.  If there's stuff I can do, or get involved in, I would be very interested in this.

One thing I'm doing with Cyrus at the moment is reworking the replication protocol (yet again!) to hopefully allow non-administrator full replication as well - so regular users could run a local Cyrus instance and replicate in a bandwidth efficient way with their ISP server (if it was Cyrus) such that they not only had a 100% exact replica local copy of all the remote server's internal state, but they could make changes offline and synchronise efficiently too.

A nice thing about the current (and future planned) Cyrus replication protocols is that they have integrity checks built in, and they enforce "legal IMAP semantics" - i.e. you can't make any change through the replication protocol which would cause something to happen that an IMAP server wouldn't allow (changing content for the same UID, unexpunging, etc) - or reducing MODSEQ (we require CONDSTORE support).

Cyrus replicas also run their own local expunge processes - so you could theoretically choose to NEVER delete anything in your local copy.  Along with the integrity checks and legality checks - you could ensure that the ISP can't modify things after you've seen them.

And adding calendaring and contacts within this environment is certainly something that's on the cards if we can agree on the right way to do it with a critical mass of clients.  It's for precisely this reason that I'm on this mailing list despite working for a kinda competitor.

Regards,

Bron.

--
  Bron Gondwana