Strategy

Tanstaafl tanstaafl at libertytrek.org
Tue Jul 10 12:48:48 UTC 2012

On 2012-07-09 4:04 PM, Ben Bucksch <ben.bucksch at beonex.com> wrote:
> On 09.07.2012 12:22, Tanstaafl wrote:
>> OpenOffice (now LibreOffice) lists asking about an Outlook 'component'
>> - maybe now is the time to start discussions with them about some kind
>> of collaboration under the Document Foundation umbrella?
>
> The Document Foundation is - in general - a good umbrella, because it's
> specifically designed to prevent any single company from ruling over the
> projects. It's designed to be ruled by independent developers. If you
> look around, you see how important that is.
>
> That said, I don't think Thunderbird fits there at all. LibreOffice is a
> completely different beast technically and would never make "the
> like-Outlook component of the LibreOffice suite". Thunderbird is a
> Mozilla product and only feels well among the birds.

Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree...

The Document Foundation is set up specifically to allow other projects
to fit under their umbrella - it is *not* only for LibreOffice, or even
for Office Suites.

Yes, Thunderbird is a Mozilla Project - for now - but with the
announcement currently being debated, there is a possibility that this
will no longer be an advantage soon, so all I'm saying is we should be
cultivating options.